Escape hatch!

This weekend I finally finished filling in the unwanted extra ventilation we had installed earlier in the year:

I think that’s the most woodwork I’ve done since school! I’m sure it’ll look better after a coat of paint.

(Unfortunately there is a very full airing cupboard on the other side so it isn’t actually a very good escape hatch.)


Heating and ventilation

After being worried that the wiring might scupper the mad thermostat plan, it turned out that the three port valve was the weak link. After a short spell operating everything manually I can put away the spanner now thanks to a new Sunvic MoMo valve. In theory it should be better than the old Honeywell valve since it turns the motor off when the valve is in the correct position, rather than just holding the motor against a spring. The flow through the valve should be better too, so I’m also hoping it will mean I can knock down the speed of the pump. That’s the theory anyway, unfortunately there’s a chance that it will actually be less reliable in practice!

It would have been easier to replace the valve before the airing cupboard was taken over by a very large cylinder…

…so we now have a rather large ventilation hole in the bedroom! (That’s the wall Jo painted as well!)

Adding ‘install access panel’ to the list of jobs, which already included ‘replace airing cupboard door so it can close’ (more on that in a future post)!