To sell, or not to sell?


Back in February we decided to move house but, despite the best efforts of our estate agent, not an awful lot has happened since then… well, apart from the slightest blip in the house market!

We’ve have plenty of viewings but not much more than that, until we recently dropped our asking price. Urg. Yesterday we got our first second viewing! Great. Today we got an offer! Wow. That’s the good news. The bad news is that the offer was, somewhat predictably since it’s an investor, a tad on the low side.

Three iced buns later and I still can’t decide.

Sell:

  • It’s an offer. I know a few people who have been trying to sell for months longer than we have.
  • They have a deposit and a mortgage, so no worries about the extinction of the lesser spotted 100% mortgage.
  • They are flexible on timescales.
  • We could gamble on a falling market and put in an equally cheeky offer on our next house.

Don’t sell:

  • It’s a very low offer!
  • Very low.
  • The market isn’t that bad… is it?
  • They can’t be the only buyers out there… can they?

Clear as mud then. Might toss a coin in the morning!

Update: and the decision is… sell… probably! (13 April 2008)

Update: doh! Spoke too soon. Buyer put offer in on another place! Looking for another buyer. (14 April 2008)

Advertisements

Looking for a new house


Moving phone company turned out to be too confusing and difficult, so what we’ve decided to do instead is move house. Much simpler! Hmmm, I suspect Cerys might not agree, so this could be a bit of an adventure! Just had the first valuation today, which confirmed our theory on what to sell for, and financial adviser was at Hursley today anyway by some amazing coincidence, which confirmed our theory on what we can buy for. (So that’ll be a shed in Winchester and half an extra bedroom in Southampton!)

Two more estate agents coming round this week and then we have to decide… should we stay, or should we go? (Look out for us at house buyers anonymous if we do decide to go for it!)

As for phone companies… anyone would think that moving is a rare event judging how badly most companies cope with the whole process, so I fully expect a broadband blackout if we do move, in which case 3 PAYG broadband looks like a tempting offer… but that’s planning ahead just a little!